Devices and Printers is a Windows 11 Control Panel applet that displays devices connected or paired with your PC. You can choose to add or remove printers and other devices here. His Tools The menu also includes a handy option to map network drives.
So, Devices and Printers is a useful applet for managing connected devices in Windows 11, but it’s hidden in Control Panel. You can speed up access by configuring different types of shortcuts to open this applet. Here is how you can create Devices and Printers shortcuts in Windows 11.
How to Set Up a Devices and Printers Desktop Shortcut
The desktop is the most standard area of Windows for creating shortcuts. You can create a desktop shortcut for devices and printers with the GUID of this applet in the Create Shortcut wizard. Here are the steps to add Devices and Printers shortcut on Windows 11 desktop:
- Right-click any space on your desktop wallpaper where there are no icons, then select New.
- Click it Shortcut context menu option to display the wizard.
- Then enter this GUID code in the location box:
- Select Next to see the Type a name box.
- Delete default title and entry Devices and printers in the text box.
- Click on Finish to add the Devices and Printers desktop shortcut.
- Double-click Devices and Printers on the desktop to display this Control Panel applet.
This shortcut will have a folder library explorer icon, which is not ideal for a Devices and Printers applet. To change its icon to something better, right-click the Devices & Shortcuts icon to select Properties. Select the Change icons option to bring up the window below.
The default explorer.exe location has a few icons to choose from. However, you can select many other icons from imageres.dll. Type %systemroot%system32imageres.dll in the Search Icons box and tap Walk in. Next, choose a printer or other device icon from there, then click the OKAY > Apply buttons.
How to set up a Devices and Printers taskbar and Start menu shortcuts
It’s easy to create a Devices and Printers shortcut on the taskbar from the one on the desktop. Right-click the Devices and Shortcuts desktop shortcut and select Show more options. Select the Pin to taskbar classic menu option.
If you prefer menu shortcuts, you can instead select Pin to start just above the taskbar option. Then you will see a Devices and Printers shortcut in the pinned section at the front of the Start menu. You can place this shortcut at the top of the menu by right-clicking on it and selecting Move up.
How to configure a Devices and Printers keyboard shortcut
Nothing beats the accessibility of keyboard shortcuts. They allow you to open items anywhere in Windows by pressing their key combinations. Here’s how to create a keyboard shortcut to open the Devices and Printers applet in Windows 11:
- Create a Devices and Printers desktop shortcut as shown for the first method.
- Click once on the Devices and Printers shortcut to select it without opening it.
- press the Other + Walk in keyboard shortcut to display the shortcut properties window.
- Then click inside the Shortcut key box to activate it.
- press the D key (for devices), which will set up a CTRL + Other + D keyboard shortcut.
- Select Apply to save your new Devices and Printers keyboard shortcut.
- Click on OKAY to close the Devices and Printers Properties window.
Your CTRL + Other + D The keyboard shortcut will open Devices and Printers each time you press it. You can change this keyboard shortcut to have a different letter if you prefer, but you cannot change the CTRL + Other part of this keyboard shortcut. Remember that deleting the Devices and Printers desktop shortcut will also delete the keyboard shortcut to open it.
How to set up a Devices and Printers context menu shortcut
You can also add an option to open Devices and Printers to the classic Windows 11 context menu. However, setting up such a shortcut is not so easy because Windows does not include any built-in option to customize its desktop context menu. You will need to manually add a DevicesAndPrinters key to the registry like this:
- Open the Windows 11 Registry Editor app, which you can do with any method in our guide to opening Regedit.
- Click in the address bar at the top of Registry Editor to clear the current location of the key.
- Enter this Shell key location and hit Walk in:
- Click it Shell touch with the right button of your mouse to select New.
- Select Key on the New submenu.
- Then type Devices and printers in the new key text box.
- Right click Devices and printers to select the New and String value options.
- To input MUIVerb for the channel title.
- Double click MUIVerb to see this channel Value data box.
- Walk in Devices and printers in the Value text box, then select OKAY to leave.
- Right click on the Devices and printers key again and select New > Key.
- Then right-click on the new ordered keys (Default) channel and select Edit.
- Enter this location GUID in the Value area:
- Select the Edit Channel window OKAY option.
Discover now the new Devices and printers shortcut on the classic desktop context menu in Windows 11. Right-click anywhere on the desktop area and select Show more options. Select Devices and printers in the secondary classic menu to open this applet.
You can easily undo this registry tweak by deleting the corresponding key. back to Devices and printers key you added in Registry Editor. Right click Devices and printers and select Wipe off > Yes.
How to Set Up a Devices and Printers Shortcut in File Explorer
File Explorer This PC is another place where you can add shortcuts to open folders and Control Panel applets like Devices and Printers. There are no options in Explorer to add shortcuts to it. However, you can add devices and printers to This PC with the free Winaero Tweaker customization software as follows:
- View the download page on the Winaero Tweaker website in your browser.
- Scroll down and click on this page Download WinaeroTweaker option.
- Extract and install the Winaero Tweaker software. The Customize Windows with Winaero guide includes step-by-step instructions for installing this application.
- Run Winaero Tweaker in Windows 11.
- Double click on the File Explorer settings category.
- Select the Customize This PC Folder option.
- Click on Add shell location to access the window below.
- Choose Devices and Printers there, then click the To add button.
You should now see Devices and Printers in File Explorer This PC section. Bring up the Explorer folder and file manager, then double-click This PC in its left sidebar. Then click Devices and printers in the sidebar to open it from there.
Create a shortcut to open devices and printers
So you have five methods to add Devices and Printers shortcuts to Windows 11. Setting up a desktop, taskbar, file explorer, context menu, or keyboard shortcut will give you will give quick and easy access to a useful Control Panel applet for managing devices. Add the type of Devices and Printers shortcut you prefer.