FaceTime FOMO finished: iOS 15 also lets you use the iPhone app on Android
This story is part of. All the latest coverage from Apple’s annual developer conference.
Non-Apple’s have a reason to rejoice: The days when you needed an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to join a FaceTime video call are almost over. In a move widely seen as Apple’s response to, the software giant has made it possible for people with Android phones and Windows laptops to make FaceTime calls – no iPhone required.
That’s not to say that Apple devices are left out of the process. In fact, they’re still so much a part of FaceTime’s core that the system will rely on the new one.operating system — – to look and work more like Zoom and . In addition to being able to video chat with people outside the Apple bubble, a new , portrait mode, the ability to schedule calls, as well as .
Here’s how to join FaceTime calls with iOS 15 no matter what device you’re using.
How to start a FaceTime call with Android or Windows users
The key here isn’t that the FaceTime app is coming to Android and Windows. This is because you will be able to jump on a FaceTime call using a link, as long as the person who schedules or initiates the call has an Apple device and an Apple account. If you are an Apple user and have, here’s how to start a FaceTime call with those on Android or Windows devices.
1. Open the FaceTime app on your phone.
2. Faucet Create a link.
3. A screen will slide up and show FaceTime Link. You can click Add name to enter a name for your cat.
4. On the same screen, you will see options to share the link by text, email, Twitter, calendar or other apps you have on your phone. Or, you can copy and paste the link yourself.
5. To join the call yourself, tap the name of the chat you just created, and then tap To rejoin.
6. When the Android or Windows user clicks on the link, they are taken to a waiting room where you can allow them to join the call by tapping a check mark next to their name.
How to join a FaceTime call using Android or Windows
To join a FaceTime call on an Android or Windows device, all you need is the link sent to you by the person with an Apple device. You don’t need to download a separate app. Here’s how to join a FaceTime call through a shared link.
1. Open the FaceTime link from where it was shared with you.
2. The link will open in your browser (you will need the latest version of Chrome or Edge). Enter your name and press To continue.
3. The screen will say âWaiting to be allowed inâ until the person who invited you allows you to join the call.
That’s it! Good video chat.
Apple noted atin June that even on the web, FaceTime calls are still end-to-end encrypted.
To learn more, check out theseand .